Friday 28 June 2013

Getting My Independence and Learning To Drive

A few years ago, when I was 18/19 I started to learn how to drive. All of my friends had passed their test but I never had the money to be able to afford driving lessons, so when my Aunty passed away and left me some inheritance I decided to get myself some driving lessons and a little car to practise in.
I'm a very nervous passenger, and it took quite a lot to convince myself that it was a good idea. My Mum doesn't drive and she's always encouraged me to learn to drive as soon as possible so I decided to give it a go. After a few months of lessons I was doing quite well, but something happened in my personal life which made it difficult to carry on learning. My friend passed away and I decided to move countries. I'm very impatient and wanted to get my test out of the way before I left fir Ireland, so I did a weeks intensive course in Blackpool and took my test at the end of it. Needless to say, I failed as I just wasn't ready, and have had to rely on lists/trains/buses ever since.
This isn't a problem when you're living in London, which I have been for the last 3 years, but since moving back to my hometown of Maidenhead nearly a year ago, I've really noticed how hard it is to get around as the public transport here is not very good and I hate having to rely on other people for lifts all of the time.
As you know, I suffer from anxiety and in my attempts to recover from this disease, I'm attempting to push myself to try new things and grow in confidence. So I've decided to start to learn how to drive again. My partner doesn't know how to drive either so we're embarking on this little adventure together.
We went to pick up our new car last weekend and have spent most of this week cleaning and polishing him to make him nice and shiny - I'm sure the novelty will ware off soon! We named him Gus Gus after the mouse in Cinderella as we think he looks like a little fat mouse.

I'm really excited to start to learn how to drive again. Failing my test really knocked my confidence and I haven't driven a car in nearly 5 years but I'm determined to do it so that I can get my independence back. It will also be a great opportunity for me to expand my business as I will be more mobile.

Did you pass your driving test first time round? Do you have any horror stories?

Let me know in the comments below - And if you have any tips on learning to drive I would really appreciate you sharing them with me. In the mean time, people of Berkshire - stay off the roads!

Hayley xo

 

1 comment:

  1. I failed my first test and all my friends (who lived in Burnham) had passed theirs so I had to rely on them a lot. It really knocked my confidence but I knew I HAD to pass so i could get out as Maidenhead is terrible for public transport.

    I failed because i nearly crashed after failing to stop at a roundabout. Needless to say thats a pretty good way to fail.

    I have so much faith in you, im so excited to watch both of you progress and I cant wait for our first road trip in Gus Gus!!!

    ReplyDelete